Disney’s Onyx Collective Orders ‘The Plot’ Limited Series, Executive Produced And Starring Two-Time OscarⓇ Winner Mahershala Ali From Endeavor Content, Abby Ajayi To Adapt From The Best-Selling Novel By Jean Hanff Korelitz
January 10, 2022
Ali’s Know Wonder, Layne Eskridge’s POV Entertainment and Kristen Campo Will Executive Produce
- After a highly competitive bidding war across multiple streaming platforms, Disney’s Onyx Collective has ordered the limited series “The Plot”from Endeavor Content. The eight-episode series will stream on Hulu in the U.S., Star+ in Latin America and Disney+ in all other territories.
- The series is an adaptation of the best-selling novel of the same name by Jean Hanff Korelitz. Korelitz’s book “You Should Have Known,”was also adapted into HBO’s “The Undoing” in 2020, starring Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant.
- “The Plot” stars and is executive produced by Oscar, EmmyⓇ, BAFTA and NAACP Image Award-winning actor and producer Mahershala Ali (“Swan Song,” “Green Book,” “Moonlight”). Ali will produce along with executive producers Mimi Valdés and Amatus Karim Ali through their Know Wonder production company. Know Wonder recently produced the critically acclaimed feature film “Swan Song” and the Emmy-winning documentary “We Are the Dream: The Kids of the Oakland MLK Oratorical Fest.”
- Abby Ajayi (“Riches,” “Inventing Anna,” “How to Get Away with Murder”) adapts Korelitz’s novel asexecutive producer and showrunner.
- Global content film and TV studio Endeavor Content will produce the series along with Layne Eskridge’s POV and Kristen Campo. Both Eskridge and Campo played a key part in putting the series together. “The Plot” is the first project taken to market under Eskridge’s (“Manhunt”) producing deal with Endeavor Content. Campo (“Truth Be Told,” “The Killing”) recently renewed her deal with the studio. “The Plot” marks Endeavor Content’s continued relationship with Hulu after the studio produced “Nine Perfect Strangers,” the platform’s most-watched original series premiere, and Amy Schumer’s upcoming series “Life & Beth.”
- “The Plot” is a gripping cat and mouse story. Struggling author Jake (Ali) is primed to take advantage of any opportunity that might help revive his career. When a once in a lifetime opportunity presents itself, Jake commits an act of literary theft that changes his life irrevocably. Now, someone knows his secret and is threatening him…and we will see just how far Jake will go to protect himself and the life he’s built.
- “I was captivated with Hanff Korelitz’s book, ‘The Plot’ and Abby’s distinct point of view reinvents the story in a way that spoke to me and our mission at Onyx Collective. There are so many interesting angles and nuances, that having the creative genius that is Mahershala Ali at the center of this mystery, is just a dream,” stated Tara Duncan, president of Freeform and Onyx Collective. “Kristen and Layne have done a phenomenal job bringing this team together and I could not be more proud to work alongside them and Endeavor Content to bring this incredible series to our global audience.”
- “Hollywood is still not greenlighting enough projects with multidimensional Black characters, stories that simply focus on our humanity. The rarity of a straight-to-series order, especially for BIPOC projects, is not lost on us,” said Mimi Valdés, executive producer, Know Wonder. “We are beyond humbled to work with such an amazing team of collaborators to bring this incredible book to life.”
- “When Kristen Campo sent me ‘The Plot,’ I devoured it! I’ve been dying to work with Abby Ajayi, and we loved the idea of exploring Jean’s book from the perspective of a Black man, so that we could really debate the themes of authorship, inspiration and who has the right to tell what stories. Mahershala was our dream for the role, and when he and the Know Wonder team signed on, it confirmed that we were building something next level,” said Layne Eskridge, EP, POV Entertainment.
- “I’m thrilled to be adapting Jean’s brilliantly compelling and thrilling novel, which hooked me from its opening pages. From the start, I knew that the peerless Mahershala Ali would be the perfect Jake. I’m excited by the nuance, the humanity and the complexity he’ll bring to the role, said Abby Ajayi, EP/showrunner. “Going on this journey with Layne, Kristen and the teams at Know Wonder and Endeavor Content has been a dream. The icing on the cake is finding our home with Tara Duncan at Onyx.”
- “When I first read ‘The Plot,’ I was immediately drawn in by Jean’s ability to balance propulsive storytelling and deep character work, and saw the possibility of a fantastic screen adaptation for a global audience,” said Kristen Campo, EP.
Limited Series: 8 episodes
Star/EP: Mahershala Ali
EPs (Know Wonder) – Mimi Valdés and Amatus Karim Ali
EP (N/W) – Layne Eskridge (POV Entertainment, “Manhunt”)
EP (N/W): Kristen Campo (“The L Word: Generation Q”)
EP/Showrunner: Abby Ajayi (“Inventing Anna”)
Author and EP: Jean Hanff Korelitz (“The Plot”)
Studio: Endeavor Content
Mahershala Ali – HERE
Tara Duncan – HERE
Layne Eskridge – HERE
Kristen Campo – HERE
Abby Ajayi – HERE
About Onyx Collective
Onyx Collective is a new content brand formed under Disney General Entertainment Content (DGE) designed to curate a slate of premium programming by artists of color and underrepresented voices. Onyx Collective’s debut project, Questlove’s award-winning documentary “Summer of Soul (…or, When the Revolution Could Not be Televised),” debuted this summer and was recently declared “the best film of 2021” by The New York Times. The brand’s roster of prolific creators also includes writer and comedian Natasha Rothwell (“Insecure,” “SNL”), writer, producer and director Prentice Penny’s Penny for Your Thoughts, Ryan Coogler’s Proximity Media (“Judas and the Black Messiah,” “Black Panther”) and writer and director Destin Daniel Cretton and his production company Family Owned.
Follow on Twitter:
About Endeavor Content
Endeavor Content is a global leader in the production and distribution of premium film and television content. The studio’s film titles include Book Club for Paramount Pictures, Blue Miracle for Netflix, Just Mercy for Warner Bros and Joe Bell with Roadside Attractions and Independent Spirit and Gotham Awards nominee The Lost Daughter for Netflix. Upcoming titles include Ambulance for Universal Pictures and My Best Friend’s Exorcism for Amazon. The studio produces premium TV series such as See and Truth Be Told on Apple TV+ and Nine Perfect Strangers and the upcoming Wolf Like Me for Peacock, Life & Beth for Hulu, Severance for Apple TV+ and Tokyo Vice for HBO Max. Endeavor Content also handles global distribution for hit series including Killing Eve, Normal People and The Night Manager. The studio brokered the deal with Netflix for multiple event series from the Roald Dahl Estate.
Mahershala Ali is represented by WME, Relevant and Sloane, Offer, Weber & Dern
Layne Eskridge is represented by WME and Gang, Tyre, Ramer, Brown & Passman
Abby Ajayi is represented by CAA, 42 and Ziffren Brittenham
Kristen Campo is represented by WME and The Nord group
Jean Hanff Korelitz is represented by WME
Onyx PR Contacts:
Endeavor PR Contact: